10 January 2024
I'm a Scientist, Get Me Out of Here!
Students explore the risks involved with AI and meet the experts behind it.
This half term your students get the chance to discuss AI alongside 30 expert researchers working in the field in the I’m a Scientist AI Zone.
The recent Royal Institution’s CHRISTMAS LECTURES were all about Artificial Intelligence - a game changer in our digital world.
AI is already in our lives. School students play online games with AI NPCs, or use TikTok or Snapchat augmented reality effects (but hopefully don’t ask Chat GPT to do their homework).
We all need to understand what AI can really do and what risks are involved in developing such
Every class can:
- Learn about up to 30 experts working on AI through their profiles, including their CVs
- Connect with people working on AI in healthcare and robotics in 30 minute, text-based
- Deepen their understanding of how AI and humans might interact in the future by sending
the experts follow-up questions
- Decide which expert deserves their vote for the £500 winners’ prize
- Review their learning through a facilitated discussion
The activity has been commissioned by the Ri to complement their CHRISTMAS LECTURES series
Common questions already asked include:
- At what point do you think AI will have gone too far?
- What does AI do in your job?
- Could AI become self aware?
- How would your job be different without AI?
If you’re a teacher with a class of minds curious about AI then connect them with researchers this
To prime the conversation in class you might want to check out the new Debate Kit. It encourages
students to discuss a range of issues around AI and consider the pros and cons of this fast-evolving
Find out more: https://debate.imascientist.org.uk/2023/12/04/ai-debate-kit