In this section, we will be looking in particular at how you can support and encourage students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in computing, but the resources and approaches can be used to ensure all of your pupils feel included.
Every young person should have the opportunity to study computing. For students with SEND, technology provides great opportunities for accessing learning, for enabling communication and preparing them for their future lives and careers.
- SEND Computing - Collection of resources, advice and activities for teaching computing to learners with SEND.
- Computing ITT and CPD – Special Educational Needs & Disabilities – Special Educational Needs & Disabilities – a little out of date but some useful resources and research.
- Barefoot Computing - includes a collection of unplugged teaching resources for learners with SEND
- Inclusion Toolkit
SEND and Computing by Miles Berry
Hello World Magazine:
Issue 13: Supporting Students with SEND in Home Learning
Issue 12: The Inclusive Classroom - column on inclusive design
Issue 11 is an Inclusion and Diversity special – lots of useful articles.
Issue 7: Overview of the Computing in SEND report findings
Issue 6: Therapeutic Benefits of Digital Making
Issue 5: Coding for the Visually Impaired / Supporting SEN Children using Tangible Coding
- Computing in Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Settings: The Current Picture in England 2018 - C. Elliott (2018)
- Inclusive Computing in Special Needs Classrooms - Lechelt et al (2018)
- After the Reboot: Computing Education in UK Schools, The Royal Society, November 2017
Video and Podcasts
Creating and Inclusive Classroom: Approaches to Supporting Learners with SEND in Computing - this free course from the National Centre for Computing Education explores ways to make your computing lessons more inclusive for learners with special educational needs and disabilities.
Excellent teaching benefits all students, but in particular those with SEND. To learn about the latest research into computing pedagogy you can join one of the courses below:
Primary teachers - ncce.io/primarypedagogy
Secondary teachers - ncce.io/secondarypedagogy