On Thursday 6 December, Neil Brown from King's College London delivered CPD on the use of Greenfoot at KS4 at Cathays High School, Cardiff. His PowerPoint slides are attached.
Update: 16th December. Summary of feedback comments:
7/12 responses received.
Average rating on satisfaction scale: (10 = worthwhile - 20 = knowledge/skill gained)
(Median score: 18)
Item 1: Please describe (briefly!) a couple of things that you picked up about Greenfoot and its application in your teaching: a new insight, new information, new ideas for future work?
An excellent introduction for me. The course gave me a better idea about object oriented programming and the use of classes.
As a beginner to Greenfoot I was able to understand how object oriented concepts can be taught through simple programming techniques. Learning the "help/prompt" for coding instructions will aid students I teach.
1. Shortcuts for auto-finishing methods 2. Easier ways to 'eat' objects
New ways around the counter questions for component 2
Good refresher as I will start teaching this with Year 11 soon. Great to network with other people & helpful tip regarding the counter.
Java syntax and how Greenfoot sits on top of it. Interesting comment during session about how coding style/approach has to be prescribed.
Item 2: Would further sessions on this topic be useful? Perhaps a different format (e.g. a Greenfoot TeachMeet; problem-solving surgery; comparing students' work; more advanced skills; more beginner skills)?
Definitely. Any skills to extend on what was covered on the course would be great.
Another session would be useful just to ensure all the basics are covered. I am interested in knowing what is needed to teach WJEC GCSE pupils so they can pass their onscreen exam.
Problem-solving surgery would be great
I feel I need to be able to code in Greenfoot before I can problem solve. Looking at students work for comparison sounds ideal
More advanced skills
Item 3: Suggestions for further Regional Centre activity
- The course was excellent. The delivery was brilliant.
- Presenter was very knowledgeable and explained things clearly and simply, which was fantastic. Thank you!
- Would be useful to be able to save work/programmes produced during the session.
- Would most certainly attend further sessions on Greenfoot or any other programming languages. Theory topics would also be helpful, I'm struggling with the gates, AND, OR, NOT etc.
- Separate beginners/advanced sessions?
- It might be worth considering a half-day workshop during half-term 2019? For example: Python programming for LLC.