There’s a great deal happening as the National Centre for Computing Education gets cracking on its pledge to upskill 8000 computing teachers. We want to give you the skills you need to deliver a world-leading education to your pupils.
The consortium of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, Raspberry Pi Foundation and STEM Learning were awarded the NCCE contract by the government in the autumn of 2018.
Read on to find out all the other latest information. and if you have any questions then please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, all NCCE scheduled face-to-face courses have been suspended, until further notice. The priority is the health and safety of everyone that we work with, particularly our teachers and staff. We’re all here online to help you!
- During this time of great uncertainty, the NCCE are all working hard to develop and share a range of online materials to support teachers and home learning.
- How to use concept maps to capture, communicate, construct, and assess knowledge. A valuable tool that teachers can use to help model connections between ideas. Find out more about using in the classroom Pedagogy Quick Reads and other helpful information here.
- As part of the NCCE’s national careers week meet Beth Holmes, Knowledge Engineer, Alexa at Amazon. Having studied a Maths degree at Aberystwyth University and a PhD in Group Theory. Hear how Beth can inject humour into her role and keep customers entertained! Read Beth’s story and career advice here.
- Speaking to Marcus Tyyger, Radiotherapy Research Physicist, he tells the NCCE how his interest in computing, led him into a healthcare role with a real impact caring and supporting cancer patients. Here he tells his story and offer’s his career advice here.
- Continuing the NCCE’s national careers week campaign, they spoke to Swetha Sethu-Jones, Senior UX Researcher about how to research the right career, studying software engineering in India, through to present day and working at Just Eat. Read Swetha’s story and career advice here.
- A chance to meet the NCCE’s first careers week champion, Sam Parker, a Technology Degree Apprentice at PwC, who studies Computer Science (Digital & Technological Solutions) at the University of Leeds. Read Sam’s story and career here.
- With technology changing the way we live, learn and work, our chair Simon Peyton Jones spoke at Bett about the need for a different approach to the teaching of computing in the classroom, read what Simon had to say here.
- Steve Clarke, Senior Education Lead (Computing) at STEM Learning, introduces the NCCE’s Subject Matter Experts, explains what their role is, and who is eligible for support here.
- In this month's Teach Computing podcast the team explore some practical strategies that not only support SEND students but improve accessibility for all learners Episode #5: Supporting all students in Computing.
- And this month’s Quick Read: Using live coding to bring coding to life looks at how A learner's first experience of a solution to a programming problem may in fact be the final program, polished, complete and error free. Live Coding is one approach to exposing learners to the full process of programming.
- Isaac Computer Science is the free online platform to help A level Computer Science teachers and students, find out more about the latest topics here and more about the latest tool to be added, supporting teachers to measure students' understanding of the A level syllabus with the new Class Progress Tool here.