Computing At School in collaboration with Microsoft UK
This two-day funded* course will enable new and aspiring Heads of Computing in secondary schools to develop the skills and techniques to build a creative and innovative curriculum accessible for all and to lead a thriving subject in their school.
* Teachers in Category 5 and Category 6 opportunity areas qualify for FREE places, including cover. To apply for one of these places please use the registration form here. Funding is only available for state funded schools.
The course will cover:
- curriculum planning,
- staff development,
- teaching resources and
- effective pedagogy
With a particular focus on:
- creative and innovative lessons at key stage 3
- techniques to inspire young people and
- developing self-efficacy of girls.
There are two full days of face-to-face sessions, interspersed with focused tasks carried out in your own school. Each session will combine theory with practical activity.
The programme in each of the centres will be broadly similar and will include:
Day 1 - “Lighting the spark”
- Setting the Context, the Concepts and the Curriculum
- Building an innovative curriculum
- Resources to inspire creativity at KS3
Day 2 - “Fanning the flames”
- Building the department in a thriving community
- Physical computing for all
- Assessment of Computing
NB: An essential feature of this course will be a personalised development project. This will be a small-scale assignment which enables delegates to apply learning from the programme to their own situations in their school. Delegates will be asked to share their learning and the difference they have made through it on Day 2.
Who is this course for?
- New and Aspiring Heads of Computing at KS3
- CAS Local Hub Leaders
Benefits of attending
By the end of the course you will have:
- an increased understanding of the most current national and international thinking on effective computing pedagogy and subject leadership;
- been provided with practical and inspirational strategies to improve standards of teaching and learning in your department;
- developed your understanding coupled with practical strategies, guidance and techniques on how to lead your subject department;
- been made aware of, and been given practical experience of, some of the latest classroom resources for teaching Computing at Key Stage 3.
Dates/Venues & Cost
Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors Microsoft UK we are able to offer free (funded) places to teachers of computing in category 5/6 areas and opportunity areas as identified by the DfE, To apply for a funded place please complete the registration form here.
This course will be held in a number of locations in England. Please choose the one either nearest or most convenient to you.
For teachers applying from outside these areas the cost will be £200 (plus booking fee) for both days of the course.