What is a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course?
Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) courses are designed to develop a deep understanding of the subject that a potential teacher trainee would like to teach, helping them gain knowledge and confidence to a sufficient level that they can commence an Initial Teacher Training course.
What is the BCS SKE course in Computer Programming?
BCS are in partnership with Department for Education (DfE) offering a teaching scholarship aimed at creating the next generation of Computing teachers for our secondary schools. The course is designed to prepare you for teaching the computing curriculum up to GCSE in a secondary school.
The courses are fully funded by the DfE so there are no fees for you to pay and you may even be eligible to apply for an additional training bursary to support you while you learn.
Teacher Training providers recommend you take an SKE course before taking up your initial Teacher Training place if:
- Your degree is in a different subject
- Your degree did not cover some aspects required for teaching
- You have experience in a related subject
- You have relevant work experience
The BCS course will update and deepen your existing subject knowledge, prepare you for your teacher training and give you greater confidence in the subject.
You should consider enrolling in the BCS SKE if you:
- Are a prospective teacher who has already secured a place with a Teacher Training organisation (Schools Direct or SCITT) who have made the place conditional on improving your computer science subject knowledge.
- Have been working in industry but not using Python as the main programming language.
- Have a Computer Science degree that needs updating or you need to understand what level you should be teaching to at GCSE level.
- Have an IT- related degree and require an introductory programming course.
You should consider enrolling in the BCS SKE if you
- Online learning that fits around current working commitments.
- Programming in Python focused on developing the knowledge, skills and understanding required to teach effectively to high GCSE standard.
- An allocated tutor will guide you through the course requirements.
- It is aligned to the National Curriculum requirements for teaching Computing at Key Stage 3.
- Engage in best practices in teaching and learning a text- based programming language.
- Explore tools and techniques for learning programming.
- Achieve part 2 of the BCS Certificate in Computer Science Teaching. Allowing you to go on to complete the Certificate within 18 months of completing the SKE at a discount price.
- Supported by CAS activities.
Features of the BCS SKE:
- Part- time online course- 8 week course delivered in 12 consecutive weeks.
- Weekly scheduled, live online sessions- approximately 2 hours long.
- Secure and bespoke online area to access course materials, guidance and feedback.
- Reflective log to support progress and best practice.
- Formative assessment tasks and feedback.
- Real world examples and activities.
- Allocatio of e-tutor and tutorials.
- Development of a programming project.
To apply or for more information email us at email@example.com